April 6, 2012
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By David Buchman
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team claimed its ninth victory of the season Friday, in a 7-0 road win over Oral Roberts (1-13). At the Case Tennis Center, the Knights won their first point by taking two matches in doubles play before moving forward and sweeping in singles.
The Knights (9-10) paired senior Joe Delinks and sophomore Mitch Thams together at the No. 1 doubles spot for an 8-3 victory over Nathaniel Avery and Alvaro Gutierrez. At the No. 2 position, the Knights claimed an 8-6 victory from the pairing of junior Jorge Blasco and sophomore Matthew Gladstone.
In singles, the Knights played sophomore Erik Brunskog at the No. 1 spot, as he claimed victory over Gutierrez 6-0, 6-2. At the No. 5 position, Gladstone defeated Matthew Prevost 6-0, 6-0, in the Knights' most impressive victory of the afternoon.
"Any time you shutout an opponent, you know your team played well," Knights head coach Bobby Cashman said about the win. "It's a great way to start the weekend road trip in Oklahoma."
The Knights return to action Saturday at 11 a.m. CT to face Tulsa at the Case Tennis Center.
UCF 7, Oral Roberts 0
1. Erik Brunskog (UCF) def. Alvaro Gutierrez (ORU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Parker Allen (ORU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Mario Samson (UCF) def. Pedro Moreno (ORU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Nathaniel Avery (ORU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Matthew Prevost (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Eugene Dolgovykh (UCF) def. No player (ORU), by forfeit
1. Mitch Thams/Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Nathaniel Avery/Alvaro Gutierrez (ORU) 8-3
2. Jorge Blasco/Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Parker Allen/Pedro Moreno (ORU) 8-6
3. Eugene Dolgovykh/Mario Samson (UCF) def. No player/No player (ORU), by forfeit