March 10, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Mike Garabedian
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Following a 4-3 road victory over UC-Irvine Wednesday, the UCF men's tennis team returned to Orlando and dominated Cleveland State 6-1 Sunday. The Knights are now a perfect 4-0 all-time against the Vikings.
The win boosts the Knights to 8-6 on the season, including an impressive 5-1 record at the UCF Tennis Complex.
"The guys bounced back and played solid tennis after a long trip back from the west coast," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said.
The Black and Gold got rolling early after sweeping all three doubles matches to clinch the point over the Vikings (3-8).
Senior Jorge Blasco continued his stellar play at the No. 1 position when he defeated CSU's Van Der Vloet, 6-1, 6-1. Blasco has not lost a match since Feb. 15 and has been victorious in nine of his last ten singles contests.
Mario Samson eased his way to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Joe van Meter at the No. 6 slot. Usually a doubles mainstay, the senior improved his record to 3-2 during singles action.
Juan Bolona dominated Nolan Marks, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot to clinch the Knights' eighth victory of the season.
"Our three seniors stepped up and played like seniors today. Their experience is going to help our young guys a lot as we move forward and face a challenging schedule," Cashman added.
At the No. 3 position, Amar Hromic won a decisive third-set tiebreaker to get past Ali Shabib, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (6) for his fifth victory of the season.
After dropping the first set, Francesc Aulina rallied back and won a super-set tiebreaker to defeat Matt Ford, 4-6, 6-3, (10-3) at the No. 5 slot.
The Knights return to the court Tuesday for a 2 p.m. home match against West Point. Admission is always free at the UCF Tennis Complex.
1. Amar Hromic/Jorge Blasco def. Nolan Marks/Joe van Meten 8-5
2. Francesc Aulina/Mario Samson def. Jorg van der Vloet/Matt Kuelker 8-5
3. Juan Bolona/Jose Sangroniz def. Matt Ford/Ali Shabib 8-6
1. Jorge Blasco def. Jorg van der Vloet 6-1, 6-1
2. Matt Kuelker def. Jose Sangroniz 7-5, 3-6, (10-8)
3. Amar Hromic def. Ali Shabib 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(6)
4. Juan Bolona def. Nolan Marks 6-2, 6-1
5. Francesc Aulina def. Matt Ford 4-6, 6-3, (10-3)
6. Mario Samson def. Joe van Meter 6-3, 6-2