March 6, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Doug Richards
IRVINE, Calif. (UCFAthletics.com) - A day after nearly defeating one of the top squads in the country, the UCF men's tennis team concluded its trip to California with a 4-3 win over host UC-Irvine.
UCF (7-6) took the doubles point to begin the afternoon and then won three singles matches to claim the win.
At the No. 1 singles spot, Jorge Blasco handled the Anteaters' (4-4) Ryan Cheung, 6-2, 6-4. Facing Jonathan Hammel at No. 4, Matthew Gladstone was a 6-2, 6-1 winner. UCF was also victorious at No. 6 where Francesc Aulina topped Jonathan Poon (6-3, 6-1).
Blasco and Amar Hromic got things going for the Knights with an 8-4 No. 2 doubles triumph over Hammel and Tyler Phan. The Knights' other win in doubles play came at No. 3. Mario Samson and Jose Sangroniz held off Poon and Shuhei Shibahara, 9-8.
"It feels good to break through and win the doubles point," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said. "Our young guys need to do a better job sustaining momentum once they establish it. This is a nice win to take back home and continue to learn and get better from each match."
On Tuesday, the Knights fell 4-3 at No. 36 San Diego State to open their trip in the Golden State.
The Knights will return to action Sunday when they host Cleveland State to begin a 9-match homestand. First serve is 2 p.m. and admission is free.
1. Jung/Cheung (UCI) def. Gladstone/Wagner (UCF) 8-4
2. Hromic/Blasco (UCF) def. Hammel/Phan (UCI) 8-4
3. Samson/Sangroniz (UCF) def. Poon/Shibahora (UCI) 9-8 (4)
1. Blasco (UCF) def. Cheung (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
2. Phan (UCI) def. Sangroniz (UCF) 7-6(3), 6-1
3. Jung (UCI) def. Hromic (UCF) 3-6, 7-6, (11-9)
4. Gladstone (UCF) def. Hammel (UCI) 6-2, 6-1
5. Shibahora (UCI) def. Wagner (UCF) 2-6, 7-6, (10-8)
6. Aulina (UCF) def. Poon (UCI) 6-3, 6-1