Feb. 24, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Mike Garabedian
STATESBORO, Ga. (UCFAthletics.com) - After trailing 3-2, the UCF men's tennis team rallied back for a 4-3 victory on the road over Georgia Southern Sunday at the Hanner Tennis Complex.
Senior Jorge Blasco clinched the win for the Knights at the No. 1 singles spot. After suffering a first set loss and trailing the second set, Blasco's poise and experience allowed him to charge back to win 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 over Matthijs Verdam and secure the victory for UCF.
"We were fortunate to escape with a win today against a team that came out well prepared and fired up," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said.
The win improves the Knights to 6-4 on the year, including a season-high three match-winning streak.
The Knights suffered a 1-0 early setback after dropping the doubles point to begin the morning. The duo consisting of Francesc Aulina and Mario Samson picked up the only doubles victory with an 8-1 performance at the No. 3 position.
"In the future, we need to find a way to start doubles play with a greater sense of urgency," Cashman said.
Freshman Amar Hromic got it rolling for UCF at the No. 2 slot, finishing Georgia Southern's Rayane Djouad, 6-1, 6-3, to tie the match at one.
At the No. 5 spot, junior Matthew Gladstone continued his excellent play down the stretch to earn the Knights their second point. Gladstone's 6-0, 6-1 domination over Carson Jones tied the match at two points each.
Junior Francesc Aulina defeated the Eagles' Marco Osorio, 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 6 position to keep the Knights alive and tie the match at three with each squad's top singles player battling in their third set.
The loss drops the Eagles to 3-3 on the season and 3-6 all-time versus the Knights.
UCF is off until Friday when it looks to extend its three-match winning streak on the road against No. 62 North Florida. The match is slated for a 2 p.m. start at the UNF Tennis Complex in Jacksonville, Fla.
1. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSUM) def. Amar Hromic/Pedro Wagner (UCF) 8-6
2. Matthijs Verdam/Oliver Webb (GSUM) def. Matthew Gladstone/Juan Bolona (UCF) 8-5
3. Francesc Aulina/Mario Samson (UCF) def. Daniel Rush/Carson Jones (GSUM) 8-1
1. Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Matthijs Verdam (GSUM) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Codina Sala (GSUM) def. Pedro Wagner (UCF) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Oliver Webb (GSUM) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Carson Jones (GSUM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Marco Osorio (GSUM) 6-3, 6-1