Feb. 15, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Mike Garabedian
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team returned to form Friday, defeating Florida Gulf Coast, 4-3, at the UCF Tennis Complex. The Knights improved to 3-0 all-time versus the Eagles, with all-three victories coming under head coach Bobby Cashman's tenure.
UCF moved back to .500 by improving to 4-4 on the season, which includes an impressive 3-1 home record.
The Black and Gold started slow after losing the doubles point with defeats at the No. 1 and 2 positions.
Matthew Gladstone got the Knights rolling in singles after recording the first point of the afternoon, with a dominating 6-3, 6-2 performance over Lance Lvovsky at the No. 4 slot.
Trailing 2-1 to FGCU, UCF registered back-to-back-to-back singles victories by Juan Bolona, Francesc Aulina and Amar Hromic to clinch the 4-3 win.
Following a tough doubles defeat, Bolona recovered during singles play to record his second victory of the season. He earned himself a 6-4, 7-5 win over Michael Beiler at the No. 6 position to tie the match at two.
Shortly after, Aulina took care of business at the No. 5 spot, defeating Jackson Moore 6-4, 7-5.
UCF's 4, 5 and 6 stepped up and were the determining factor of the afternoon, winning all three matches in two sets.
After getting dominated 6-1 during the first set, Hromic bounced back to capture a 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 clinching victory over Tianyu Bao at the No. 2 slot.
"The guys bounced back today against a tough FGCU squad and found a way to come away with a win," Cashman said. "We came out with a purpose in singles and found a way to elevate our play during key moments."
The Knights return to the UCF Tennis Complex Sunday for a 10 a.m. match against Connecticut and admission is free to the public. This will be the last home contest for the Black and Gold before a five-match road stint that begins in Statesboro, Ga.
1. Jordi Vives/Jackson Moore (FGCU) def. Amar Hromic/Juan Bolona (FGCU) 8-3
2. Tianyu Bao/Michael Beiler (FGCU) def. Matthew Gladstone/Jorge Blasco (UCF) 8-4
3. Francesc Aulina/Mario Samson (UCF) def. Lance Lvovsky/Dean Tsamas (FGCU) 8-5
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
4. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Jackson Moore (FGCU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Michael Beiler (FGCU) 6-4, 7-5