Jan. 23, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Mike Garabedian
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - In its third dual-match of the season, the UCF men's tennis team fell against No. 12 Florida 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex.
After splitting a pair of matches last week in Tallahassee, the Knights (1-2) dropped its second match against one of the top-ranked squads in the nation.
Florida (2-0) took the doubles point to begin the afternoon, edging the Knights at the number two and three positions.
Senior Juan Bolonabattled at the six spot, before dropping a heartbreaking first set tiebreaker 7-6 (3). With a 6-2 second set victory, Luke Johnson secured the point for the Gators.
At the number one, Florent Diep, the No. 26 singles player in the nation, edged Jorge Blasco6-3, 6-4 in a hard fought, hour and seventeen minute dual.
Florida secured the victory after Stephane Piro defeated Amar Hromic6-3, 6-3 at the two spot.
"The guys competed well today and made them earn this win," UCF head coach Bobby Cashmansaid. "We need to play the big points more effectively in order to give ourselves a shot against a team like this.
The Knights will have the week-off before continuing its Florida road-stand Feb. 1 at Miami.
Florida 7, UCF 0
1. Florent Diep (26) (UF) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 6-3, 6-4
2. Stephane Piro (UF) vs. def. Amar Hromic (UCF) 6-3, 6-3
3. Bob van Overbeek (51) (UF) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mike Alford (UF) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 6-2, 6-1
5. Billy Federhofer (UF) def. Francesc Aulina (UCF) 6-4, 6-3
6. Luke Johnson (UF) def. Juan Bolona (UCF) 7-6(3), 6-2
1. Mike Alford/Florent Diep (45) (UF) def. Juan Bolona/Amar Hromic (UCF) 4-4 DNF
2. Bob van Overbeek/Stephane Piro (UF) def. Jorge Blasco/Francesc Aulina (UCF) 8-1
3. Billy Federhofer/Luke Johnson (UF) def. Matthew Gladstone/Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 8-3