Anyone who is a full time student at UCF or has received a letter of acceptance may tryout. This includes incoming freshmen and transfer students. Current UCF students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and be free of any academic or disciplinary probation.
On the first day of the tryout, you must bring the following:
1. Copy of acceptance letter or UCF Student ID.
2. Copy of front and back of medical insurance card.
3. Lab results of a Sickle Cell test.
(If you were born in Florida, you probably had a sickle cell test at birth and can just get a copy of those results. If you have never had a sickle cell test, you must get a prescription from your doctor and go to a lab and get these run and then bring the results to tryouts......so be sure to PLAN AHEAD!!!!!)
4. Completed and signed Tryout Registration Form including signed Medical Waiver papers.
5. Doctors Note indicating that you have had a physical in 2013 and are cleared to participate.
How to Prepare
First and foremost, get your application in to the university as soon as possible to insure that you are accepted to attend school here. You will then want to be sure that you are in top physical condition. Our cheerleading team members are nationally competitive athletes who lift weights in addition to regular practices. We have listed some tips below to help you prepare for cheerleading tryouts at UCF.
Academic Acceptance to UCF
If you have not yet applied and been accepted to UCF:
Prospective students may easily apply on line at (Click HERE) http://www.admissions.ucf.edu/apply-now.asp. We strongly recommend that incoming Freshmen apply no later than September/October of their senior year and if you have any concern, you should apply for the summer semester as that can sometimes increase your chances. If you are an out of state student and accepted for the summer, taking an on-line class might be an option if you can't move to Orlando until the fall.
What to do if you have applied but have not been accepted:
If you have applied but have not been accepted (either you have not gotten a response, you have been deferred, or you have been denied admission) by February 1st of your senior year, we may be able to help. We recommend that you provide our office with a copy of your official transcripts including test scores. We also recommend that you plan to attend one or both of our spring college prep clinics. This will allow us to do a preliminary evaluation of your skills and confirm your academic standing and potential for acceptance. We also recommend that you regularly check your admissions status on line to be certain that they are not waiting for information from you. You may also set up an appointment with admissions counselor to review your potential.
Please mail your transcripts to :
UCF Cheerleading Office Attn./ Linda Gooch
WDSC- Building 39
P.O. Box 163555
Orlando, Florida 32816-3555
* Please be certain that official transcripts are clearly labeled "transcripts" on the outside of the envelope along with the student-athlete's name.
How to improve your chances for academic acceptance and tryout success:
HS Sophomores & Juniors
- Fill out our Prospect Information Sheet and fax or mail it to our office.
- Maintain a high core GPA. UCF looks @ un-weighted core classes.
- Take the SAT/ACT test for the first time no later than the spring of your Junior year.
- Take a campus tour and attend the spring clinics offered by UCF's team. Click HERE to download the 2013 Spring College Prep Clinic registration form.
- Be sure that you have filled out and submitted a prospect information sheet and emailed or turned it in. This will allow us to track your progress through high school and keep you informed of updates with our program.
* click HERE to download our Prospect Information Sheet.
- If you have not already done so, fill out our Prospect Information Sheet and fax or mail it to our office.
- Apply for admission to UCF no later than October of your senior year.
- If you are concerned about getting accepted you may want to consider applying for summer admission. Standards for summer admission are often not as stringent as it is for the fall.
- Arrange for a "College Day" visit to take an official tour of the campus and try to include a fall football weekend to watch our cheer team in action. Campus tours can be arranged on line by Clicking HERE.
- Attend a college prep clinic in Feb/ March of your senior year.
- If you have not been accepted by February 1st, mail a copy of your official transcript to our office. Be sure the transcript has your name clearly written on the outside of the envelope along with the word "transcript".
Physical Preparation Tips for Tryouts
Please note that we are a strictly co-ed team. All of the males are bases and ALL of the females are flyers. Although we will spend time teaching the a cheer and fight-song, a large portion of the tryouts will be spent working on partner stunts. Because most females come from "all-girl" programs and often have limited experience in co-ed flying, we recommend 2 excellent resources to help you gain some experience:
1. UCF College Prep Clinics : Each Spring, we hold two, one-day college prep stunt clinics. The dates for the 2013 Clinics are February 23rd and March 16th. These clinics are designed for men and women who are trying out for college squads and want to work on college stunting. Current High School students or Junior College transfers who attend will have an opportunity to meet our coaching staff and stunt with our team members. This is an excellent opportunity to improve your skills and can provide an invaluable experience.
- Click HERE to download our 2013 College Prep Clinic Registration Form.
2. Local All-Star Gyms : Often a local cheerleading gym will offer private co-ed stunt sessions. These private lessons can be helpful when taught by a qualified coach in a safe environment. In the Orlando area, we recommend the coed stunt classes and tumbling privates that are held at either the Orlando All-Stars East Gym at 407 679-6620 or the Double Down All-Star Cheerleading Gym at 407-267-0931. When you call, please let them know that we referred you.
Each prospective cheerleader will be evaluated on the following:
- Standing and Running Tumbling on a regular cheer floor (NOT a spring)
Examples might be standing back or front tuck, standing back-handspring back tuck and a running tumbling pass.
- Stunts (extension, liberty, cupie, heel stretch full down, and shoulder stand)
If you have a great deal of stunt experience you may be given permission by the coach to add difficulty in how you get into or out of these stunts but that will be the coach's determination based on your skill and you must follow the aacca safety guidelines. (Some examples might be full up, rewind, or double down.)
- Motions (a cheer and a fight song/ band dance will be taught)
- Toe Touch Jump (women only)
- Ability to lead and engage a crowd in a collegiate manner (do not underestimate the importance of this)
Method of Evaluation
The team is selected by the coaching staff at UCF. Cuts are made after each session until the final day when the team is named. The first day of tryouts is open to the public. The final two days are closed.
Tryout Schedule & Locations
Tryouts for the 2013-2013 Cheer Team tryouts will be held May 4th, 5th and 6th. You must attend each day.
- Friday May 3rd from 9:30 am Check In begins (Clinic 10am-8pm.) in the Education Building Gymnasium
You MUST have your Sickle Cell Lab results with you when you check in at 9:30 am.
- Saturday May 4th from 9-1 and 4-7 p.m. at the Orlando All Stars East
- Sunday May 5th from 9-1 and 4-7 p.m. at the Orlando All Stars East
For directions, please click on the facility link HERE
What to Wear
Our school colors are black and gold. These are the colors that we recommend you wear to the tryout. Our school bookstore offers a wide selection of UCF attire. It may be helpful to note that our cheerleaders have a very clean cut, modest and neatly groomed image. Please go to UCFSpirit.com and click on the Photos link to get some ideas.
Men - comfortable practice shorts and a T-shirt (no tank tops for the men). Our male cheerleaders are generally clean shaven with closely cropped hair.
Women - practice shorts and a T-shirt, tank or "full length" sports bra. (nothing too loose or baggy) Females hair and makeup should be game-ready. I would recommend that you review the photos on our website to get ideas for hair and makeup.
*Attire should not be revealing and shorts should NOT be rolled down on the hips.
*No jewelry of any kind is permitted including belly rings and other body piercings. We also recommend that you cover any tattoos.
What to Bring the First Day of Tryouts
1. Bring a "copy" of either your UCF Student I.D. or "copy" of your acceptance letter.
* Please do not bring the originals as a copy machine will not be available.
2. Bring a "copy" of your medical insurance card.
3. Bring Lab results for a sickle cell test. (you must have this with you at check in)
4. Bring a completed tryout packet including registration form AND waiver Tryout Registration Packet
5. Bring a form from your doctor's office indicating that you have had a physical in 2013. (must be since the new year)
Can I Tryout by Sending a Video Tape?
No. You must go through an IN PERSON tryout in order to be selected to the team. This means that in order to tryout you must make the trip to Orlando and show your skills in person.
Fall Tryouts 2013
Fall Tryouts will only be be held if roster positions become available over the summer. For updates please contact the Spirit Office in late July.
Where to Find Necessary Forms and Information?
General information about our UCF Spirit program including scholarships etc.: Click HERE
Email to contact our office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prospect Information Sheet Click HERE
Tryout Application Packet including registration form AND waiver: Tryout Registration Packet
Hotels Located Close to UCF:
La Quinta Hotel and Suites
11805 Research Pkwy, Orlando, FL - (407) 737-6075
Marriott Courtyard Hotel
12000 Collegiate Way, Orlando, FL - (407) 277-7676
1724 N Alafaya Trl, Orlando, FL - (407) 658-9008
Holiday Inn Hotel
12125 High Tech Ave, Orlando, FL - (407) 275-9000
Spirit Program Contact Information
UCF Athletic Association/ Cheerleading Office Attn: Linda Gooch
WDSC - Department of Athletics
P.O. Box 163555
Orlando, Florida 32816
Phone: (407) 823-2143
Fax: (407) 207-5293