UCF vs. Howard
- Solid win for opening game of the tournament.
- The Knights continue to guard the 3-point line well. Howard went 4-of-14 from deep.
- Howard kept it interesting in the first half due to its effort on the defensive end. Once the Knights opened things up in transition, it was game over.
- The Knights press was very effective early on. It disrupted the tempo of Howard's defense all game.
- Matt Williams can really shoot that 3-ball!
- Great game for Tristan Spurlock... 15 points in 30 minutes of play with a couple of huge fastbreak dunks! That second 2-handed windmill was so impressive that even our esteemed AD Todd Stansbury shouted, "How aboooot that jam!" #canadiansknowbasketballtoo #dunkyouverymuch
- Great stat line for Isaiah Sykes: 12 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Howard did a good job of switching from man-2-man back to zone throughout the game. Calvin Newell and Daiquan Walker handled it just fine.
UCF vs. Belmont
- The basketball community knows this was a big-time win for the Knights. Just so you are aware, you will probably see Belmont in the NCAA tourney. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a game. Great coach, great team... and the Knights took it to 'em.
- I loved the defense and ball pressure by the Knights. It was evident that they came ready to play. It was especially impressive considering it is very difficult to play back-to-back games. - Another double-double for Keith Clanton (26 points, 10 rebounds). He earned every rebound. #MVP
- Kasey Wilson is really coming into his own. I like the way he has been playing as of late.
- Sykes and Newell were strong all night on both ends of the court. Both made big plays when needed.
- Walker played such a great "point guard" game. Nothing fancy, just consistent.
- 28 deflections for the Knights.
- Great poise by the Knights to not panic when Belmont made a run at the end. All great teams make a run late in the game; it's just a part of the game.
- Clanton was poised and active all tournament long. Most deserving of the MVP. #Lassitertrophy
- Vince Gill was in the house. He is a big Belmont fan. I'm more of an Amy Grant fan.
- The man-2-man press with Walker and Williams was really good. #future
- Song of the day was easily "I Knew You Were Trouble" by Taylor Swift. Now I'm not the biggest T-Swift fan, but boy do Taylor Young and I get hyped for that tune. I bet that Puff Daddy guy will remix it soon.
- For the second time this year the best dressed award goes to basketball communications director Doug Richards with the bow-tie/sweater vest combo. Newsflash! If Doug wears a bow tie, I don't care if David Beckham walks through the UCF Arena doors, guaranteed win! #oldmanswag
- Have a safe New Years Eve Knight fans!