- Keith Clanton is so good in the post. Even if he doesn't score or make an assist, his presence down low demands so much attention from opposing defenses.
- UCF had only three assists to 15 turnovers, yet still won the game.
- The Knights halfcourt offense looked out of sync for most of the night. It wasn't that they were selfish, not even remotely that, but they just seemed unsure of themselves. It was extremely surprising considering their fluid continuity the last 2 games.
- Daiquan Walker = see my thoughts on him in the intangibles section.
- I needed more "point guard" out of Isaiah Sykes. He still had 14 points, but only one assist. His "and 1" with about a minute to go was crazy clutch. Weight room!!!
- Staphon Blair did a great job of keeping the ball alive on the offensive glass. It's hard to box that beast out!
- Give Savannah State credit, they ran a really solid halfcourt offense. They were in attack mode all game - dribble weave, flares and pick and rolls all day.
- Overall pretty solid "D" by the Knights except for that 4-minute stretch in the second half.
- UCF had 20 deflections last night as opposed to 32 against Alabama State. Please read my definition of deflections in my last write up.
- Walker has a chance to be a great lock down defender.
- Kasey Wilson had two huge blocks late in the second half. People underestimate his athleticism.
- UCF won the rebounding stat line by three - 36-33.
- The Knights did a fantastic job of guarding the 3-point line! UCF held Savannah State to 30 percent from the 3-point line.
- We won! Did UCF play to its potential? No. It doesn't matter. As my old high school coach would say, "an ugly win is always better than a pretty loss."
- People told me Clanton had a bad game. He had 17 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks. What a horrible game!
- Everyone is a great captain when the waters are calm, what happens when the waters are rough? Who will emerge as that great captain for the Knights?
- Walker is going to be good folks. For freshmen point guards to get more playing time the formula is simple: play hard + no turnovers + high energy + knowing your scouting report = playing time. The more simplistic Walker plays the better the Knights will play. Simplistic does not mean playing timid. It means playing at a pace that makes your teammates feel comfortable. Walker wants to be good, he's already a great teammate, and he will get better.
- I was with the football team at Tulsa this weekend. I learned that Marc Daniels has a phenomenal voice (especially on any song by Pitbull). I couldn't even look at him and for a second I thought he took the shape of a unicorn. #majestic
- At the 15:51 mark of the second half the song "Moves Like Jagger" came on the loudspeaker. Taylor Young and I deserve to be on the dance cam for that song. #hypesong
- Speaking of TY, Justin Bieber won artist of the year at the AMA's last night. He's been suffering from Bieber Fever all year. I'm more of a Selena Gomez fan.
- If Wilson does not grab that loose ball at the end of the second half, we do not win that game.
- Knight fans... tomorrow night's game is huge! Middle Tennessee State is really really good. 7 p.m. at the UCF Arena tomorrow night! #barnburner